GS-N5 is a high quality, high temperature electrical insulation sleeving consisting of an extrusion coating of specially formulated silicone rubber over closely braided, electrical grade fiberglass. Fiberglass pre-treatments result in strong adhesion between glass sleeve and silicone coating. The high pressure coating process ensures a smooth, even surface, without the wall thickness variation and the pimples and protrusions of broken fibers which are typical of sleevings produced by some alternative coating systems. GS-N5 sleeving is also characterized by it’s flexibility and smooth, firm inner wall, allowing easy cable insertion.
GS-N5-FR contains additional flame retardants and is self extinguishing when tested according to the UL1441 VW-1 vertical flammability test.
GS250 is a high temperature grade, available in red only, suitable for continuous use at 480oF (250oC). Other properties are similar to GS-N5.
GS-N5-HW is a special, heavy wall construction of the GS-N5 sleeving for use in high voltage or high stress applications. The HW fiberglass braid construction provides excellent mechanical strength and the thick silicone rubber coating results in a dielectric breakdown strength in excess of 15kV
Manufactured for Ipotec in an ISO/TS 16949 quality assured plant by BIW Isolierstoffe GmbH.
Product Classifications and Specifications
GS-N5 sleeving falls within the following product classifications:
- IEEE – Temperature Class 200
- ASTM D372 – Type 5 (200oC)
- NEMA TF-1 (previously VS-1) – Type 5 (200oC)
- GS-N5A – Grade A (8000V)
- GS-N5B – Grade B (4000V)
- GS-N5C – Grade C (2500V)
- MIL-I-3190/6 – Class 200, type D, category c
- GS-N5A (subject to additional qualification approval)
- UL 1441 – recognized (File # E165094) for continuous use at 600V / 200oC
- GS-N5A and GS250A – Grade A (7000V); GS-N5AFR recognized VW-1
- All GS-N5, GS-N5-FR, and GS250 grades are available coiled or on spools in standard sizes from AWG #24 to 1 inch.
- GS-N5-HW (heavy wall) is available on special order in coils in sizes from AWG #10 to 1 inch.
- Standard color for GS-N5, GS-N5-FR and GS-N5-HW is white; other colors available on special order.
- GS250 available in red only.
- High temperature and flame retardant grades suitable for long-term exposure at 570oF (300oC). Available on special order in natural opaque or dark grey only.
- Special sizes up to 2 inch inside diameter.
- Can be supplied cut to length.